ACSR of Aluminum conductor is the most popular and widely employed standard for power transmission. Given below are the top 10 basic concepts on ACSR Conductor.
- ACSR abbreviates for Aluminum conductor steel reinforced which gets its name from the fact that strands of Aluminum are wrapped around strands of steel
- The number of aluminum and steel strands is indicated by convention Aluminum/Steel. i.e 72/7 ACSR means 72 strands of Aluminum and 7 strands of Steel
- In North America, ACSR conductors are coded on the names of birds. i.e Eagle conductor has an overall diameter of 24.2 mm (approx)
- In the UK ACSR conductors are coded on names of animals. i.e Horse conductor has a diameter of 13.9 mm (approx)
- In ACSR conductor the central steel core is for providing strength while Aluminum is preferred due to its lightweight, cost-effective, and economical properties
- Besides ACSR, the AAAC (all aluminum alloy conductor) is another economical choice that can be employed when smaller sag is desired